Last updated on November 28th, 2023 at 09:17 am
What happens when you get locked out and try to open the door from outside but fail? You may try with or without a key, but your Yale lock not opening from outside anymore.
Here are the following reasons why it happens:
- Yale lock is jammed
- The latch is broken
- Battery is dead
- Yale lock installation is wrong
- Yale lock programming code error
- Yale lock keypad is not working
- Lastly, the lock is damaged
In this following article, I will show you how to fix those above issues
Why my Yale lock won’t open from outside
Even the key, keypad, or touchscreen may be malfunctioning or the locking mechanism may become misaligned.
Anyway, now come to the exact point. What you can do if your Yale lock not opening from outside with or without a key?
How to fix Yale lock not opening from outside with key
You may get locked out and try with your physical key to open the Yale door lock. But it’s not opening. Let’s know why this may happen and how to troubleshoot it:
1. Key issues
Cause: The key itself may be the problem. If it’s worn down, bent, or damaged, it won’t engage properly with the lock.
- Check the key first. If it is damaged, bent, or worn out, try using a spare key. If the spare key works, you’ve identified the issue.
- While turning the key, gently wiggle it up and down or side to side. Sometimes, this can help align the key with the internal components of the lock.
You can also consult a locksmith. They can either repair your existing key or create a new one.
Note: Do not force the key or handle. Forcing the lock can damage the lock or key and make the situation worse.
2. The keyway is blocked
Causes: The keyway is the slot where you insert the key. If it’s obstructed by debris or foreign objects, it will prevent the key from entering the lock fully.
If the key is not the issue, clean the keyway using a lubricant like graphite.
- Apply a small amount of lubricant to the key and insert it into the lock. Gently wiggle the key to distribute the lubricant.
- Use also a flashlight to check the keyway closely. If you find any debris or foreign objects, carefully remove them using tweezers or a thin, rigid wire.
Note: Don’t use excessive force, as it may damage the lock.
3. The lock is Frozen
Cause: In cold weather, the lock mechanism can freeze and cause it to become stiff and unresponsive.
Use a heat source, like a hairdryer, to gently warm the lock. Once the lock is thawed, try using the key again.
Note: Be careful not to overheat it, as this can cause damage.
4. Assess the Lock Cylinder
If the issue persists and the key won’t turn, it’s likely a problem with the lock cylinder.
In this case, it’s advisable to contact a professional locksmith to assess and, if necessary, replace the lock cylinder.
Note: Attempting to fix this yourself may lead to further issues.
Yale lock not opening from outside without key
When you don’t have access to a physical key, you may try to open the lock using methods like keypad entry, key card, smartphone control, biometric access, or remote control depending on your lock model.
But again the Yale lock not opening from outside. Ok, let’s see the solution you can try to fix this issue:
Step 1: Confirm Authorization
First, ensure you have the necessary authorization to use the selected method.
For keypad entry, ensure you’re entering the correct PIN code.
For smartphone control, check you have the appropriate permissions in the app.
Step 2: Check the Power Source
For electronic Yale locks (keypad entry, smartphone control, key card, remote control), ensure the lock has a power source.
If it’s battery-operated, check the battery status. Replace the batteries if they are low or depleted.
Note: Low battery power can cause the lock to malfunction.
Step 3: Biometric troubleshooting
If you’re using biometric access, ensure your fingerprint or biometric data is correctly enrolled in the system. Clean the sensor if it’s dirty or smudged.
Step 4: Check Signal and Connectivity
For smartphone control or remote access, confirm your smartphone has a stable connection (Wi-Fi or cellular) and that it’s communicating with the lock.
Ensure the lock’s Wi-Fi or Bluetooth settings are correctly configured.
Step 5: Check the Latch
Check the latch on the inside of the door. Sometimes, it might not fully retract due to wear and tear.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to gently push the latch inwards. This may allow you to open the door without a key.
Step 5: Reset the Lock
Some electronic locks may benefit from a keypad reset. So you can try finally to reset if the Yale lock not opening from outside.
- Open the app and proceed to the lock circle screen.
- Tap the gear icon (⚙︎) to access the Settings menu.
- Choose the lock you want to reset from the list of devices.
- Scroll down and select “Factory Reset.”
- Follow any on-screen prompts to confirm and reset the lock.
Note: After the reset, you may need to reprogram Yale lock and set up access methods again.
If the Yale lock is jammed or not installed properly, you can’t open it using a key or without a key.
The Yale lock is jammed
A jammed lock can occur for various reasons, including dirt, debris, or a malfunction in the locking mechanism.
- Lubricate the lock with proper lock lubricant.
- Clear any debris or foreign objects from the keyway.
- Gently jiggle the key while turning it.
- Contact a locksmith if the lock remains jammed.
The Yale lock is not installed correctly
An incorrectly installed lock can result in it not functioning properly.
- Check for misalignment between the lock and strike plate. If they are not aligned, the lock may not engage properly. Adjust the strike plate or lock positioning as needed.
- Ensure that all screws securing the lock are properly tightened.
- Consult a locksmith if you suspect incorrect installation.
For solving other Yale lock problems read this: Yale smart lock troubleshooting
Do you have any confusion as to why your Yale lock not opening from outside? We hope we’ve covered all the fixes you should try in that case.
Whether you’re dealing with a lock that won’t open without a key or with a key, follow the step-by-step instructions recapped in this guide.
It will help you regain access to your home.