Last updated on July 12th, 2023 at 03:57 pm
If you have a Yale lock, then you know how durable and long-lasting these locks can be. However, like any other lock, Yale locks are prone to scratches and wear and tear, especially if they are used frequently.
The primary cause of Yale lock screen scratches is the frequent use of the lock. Every time you insert a key into the lock, it rubs against the screen, causing friction.
Over time, this friction can cause small scratches to appear on the screen. Other factors that can contribute to scratches include dirt and debris on the key, rough handling of the key, and the use of the wrong type of key.
Scratches on your lock screen not only affect the look of your lock but also may reduce the security of your property.
How to fix my Yale lock screen scratches
Before going to clear the scratch on your Yale lock you must come to know know the installation process of Yale lock. Since to fix it you need to open up the Yale smart lock and then install again.
We start by recommending the tools needed to fix the scratches, such as a microfiber cloth, rubbing compound, and polishing compound.
We then provide step-by-step instructions on how to fix the scratches, including how to apply the compounds, the recommended pressure to use, and how to buff the lock’s surface.
Before we dive into the steps on how to fix your Yale lock screen scratches, let’s go over the materials that you will need:
- Fine grit sandpaper
- A screwdriver
- An Allen wrench
- Cleaning solvent (optional)
- Microfiber cloth
- Mild liquid soap or lock lubricant
- Cotton swabs or soft-bristle toothbrush
- Toothpaste (non-gel type)
- Automotive polishing compound (optional)
- Clean, lint-free cloth
Assess the Severity of the Scratches
Before you start fixing the scratches, take a closer look at them to determine their severity. Minor scratches can often be buffed out or minimized, while deeper scratches may require more extensive repair. Assessing the scratches will help you choose the appropriate method to fix them.
Remove the Lock Screen
To gain access to the lock screen and effectively fix the scratches, you’ll need to remove it. Follow these steps:
Locate the screws on the lock screen. They are usually positioned on the inner side or around the edges.
Use a screwdriver to remove the screws by turning them counterclockwise. Keep the screws in a safe place to avoid misplacing them.
Addressing Minor Scratches
If the scratches on your Yale lock screen are minor, you can try to buff them out using the following method:
- Dampen a soft cloth with water and wring out any excess moisture.
- Apply a small amount of toothpaste or metal polish onto the cloth.
- Gently rub the cloth in a circular motion over the scratched area. Apply light pressure and be patient.
- Continue buffing for a few minutes, periodically checking the progress.
Repairing Deeper Scratches
For deeper scratches that cannot be fixed with buffing alone, you may need to repaint or touch up the lock screen. Follow these steps:
- Clean the scratched area using a lint-free cloth and ensure it is dry.
- If your lock screen has a metallic finish, use an appropriate touch-up paint that matches the color.
- Apply a small amount of paint onto the tip of a clean cloth or a fine-bristled brush.
- Carefully fill in the scratch with the touch-up paint, making sure to stay within the scratched area.
- Allow the paint to dry as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the paint is completely dry, you can use a soft cloth to buff the area gently for a smoother finish.
Filling the Scratches
After cleaning the lock, it’s time to fill in the scratches. There are several options for filling scratches, depending on the severity of the damage.
For minor scratches, you can use a scratch repair pen or a car scratch remover. These products work by filling in the scratch with a specialized compound that matches the color of the lock screen. This process works like phone scratch repairment.
Sand the Scratches
Using fine-grit sandpaper, sand the scratches on the lock screen. Be gentle and apply light pressure to avoid damaging the lock screen. Sand in a circular motion until the scratches are no longer visible. Make sure to remove any dust or debris from the lock screen using a soft cloth.
Polish the Lock Screen
To give your Yale lock screen a polished look, use steel wool to buff the lock screen gently. Start by rubbing the steel wool on the lock screen in a circular motion, and gradually increase the pressure until the scratches are no longer visible. Once you have buffed the lock screen, use a soft cloth to remove any debris or residue.
Use Toothpaste to Remove Stubborn Scratches
If there are any stubborn scratches on your Yale lock screen, toothpaste can help remove them.
If the scratches on your Yale touchscreen lock are surface-level, we can address them with the following steps:
- Apply a small amount of non-gel toothpaste to a cotton swab or soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Gently rub the toothpaste onto the scratched area in a circular motion for a few minutes.
- Rinse the lock screen with warm water and wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth.
- Inspect the lock screen to evaluate the improvement. Repeat the process if necessary until the scratches become less visible.
Apply a Protectant
To protect your Yale lock screen from future scratches and wear and tear, apply a protectant. There are many protectants available in the market that are specifically designed for locks. Apply the protectant according to the manufacturer’s instructions and make sure to cover the entire lock screen.
Can I use toothpaste to remove scratches from my Yale lock screen?
Toothpaste is not recommended for removing scratches from your Yale lock screen as it is abrasive and can further damage the lock. Use scratch remover or metal polish instead.
Can I use a scratch remover or metal polish on a painted lock screen?
No, scratch remover or metal polish is only recommended for metal surfaces. If your lock screen is painted, use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth to clean it.
Do I need to remove the lock from the door to fix scratches on the screen?
No, you do not need to remove the lock from the door to fix scratches on the screen. Simply clean the screen and apply the scratch remover or metal polish as directed.
Fixing your Yale lock screen scratches is easy and straightforward, and you can do it yourself without the need for professional help. Follow the steps mentioned above, and your Yale lock will look as good as new. Remember to clean your lock screen regularly to avoid scratches and maintain its durability. If you encounter any issues with your lock, it is always best to seek the help of a professional locksmith.